13.9.11

Commercial Free Television: Another National Ponzi Scheme!














By John W. Lillpop

Back when cable television was in the embryo stage, the promise was most alluring: Pay a small, nominal monthly fee and be rid of non-stop commercials forever!

Unfortunately, as it turns out, only Social Security is a larger, more predatory Ponzi scheme than cable television!

Many people pay $75 dollars a month, or more, for the sheer pleasure of having commercials rammed down their agonized throats.

What was supposed to be commercial free has turned out to be free of programming!

I enjoy watching “Special Report’ on FOX. Used to enjoy, that is! Until I started paying attention to the “breaks” which are repeated constantly until one damn near has the stupid text memorized.

One particularly annoying ad is the one that features G. Gordon Liddy hawking gold sales.

I am a fan of G. Gordon, but after seeing him and that GD leaf blower scattering dollars to the high heavens for months, I have had it!

Now, when the Liddy ad starts, I immediately mute the television for three minutes, or turn the damn set off entirely.

And, again, G. Gordon is a pundit that I actually like!

The real truth of this cable Ponzi scheme became clear to me when I started counting the number of ads shown at each break.

12 or 13 is typical—try counting yourself.

This outrage exists on all networks, bar none. CNN, FOX, MSNB all run commercials over and over again!

Again the big question: WHY IN THE HELL AM I PAYING $60-100 a MONTH TO HAVE non-stop, obnoxious, stupid ads rammed down my throat?

Where is the commercial free television we were promised?