8.10.11

Is Mormonism an Anti-Christian 'Cult'?

By John W. Lillpop


With Mitt Romney a leading contender for the Republican presidential nomination, this good man’s qualifications are being impugned by those who disagree with his Mormon faith.

According to some, Mormonism is a ‘cult,’ with the strong implication that those who practice this faith are somehow not ‘real’ Christians.

For the record, Cult is defined in the dictionary as follows:

a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies, and

an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers

Mormons practice their faith as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Despite the prevalence of popular myth, the object of LDS veneration is Jesus Christ, not Joseph Smith nor Brigham Young or any other mortals.

It is true that Mormonism embraces rituals and beliefs not honored in ‘traditional’ Christian churches.

However, any suggestion that these good, decent people are ‘weird’ or not real Christians is based on religious prejudice and intolerance.

Consider, please, Hymn 193 from the Mormon Hymnal.

Titled, I Stand All Amazed, the lyrics to this song say it all about the precious Christian values and beliefs which bind the LDS faithful:


Lyrics: 193

I STAND ALL AMAZED

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died

Chorus:
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me
Oh, it is wonderful
Wonderful to me

I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine
That he should extend his great love unto such as I
Sufficient to own, to redeem and to justify

(Repeat chorus)

I think of his hands, pierced and bleeding to pay my debt
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me
Secure in the promise of life in his victory
Thus ransomed from death I will live to my Savior's praise
And sing of his goodness and mercy through endless days.

There is hardly a more gripping hymn that this, especially when performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Is Mormonism a ‘cult’ ?

Yes, Mormonism is ‘an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers.’

Remember, the object of LDS veneration is Jesus Christ!