14.11.08

Confessions of a Proud Conservative American







By John W. Lillpop

(Whisper)

Can we talk privately--off the record as they say in the news business?

You won't repeat what I am about to share with you? Promise?

I have a deep, dark secret that has been festering within me for well over a week now. It is driving me mad--or madder, according to my doctor and the local pharmacist.

You see I am a hard core conservative. Die-in-the-wool, Reaganite. To the right of Atilla the Hun.

Lower taxes, school vouchers, strong defense, and patriotism with a capital P.

Which means that I always vote Republican. Always--even when the GOP ticket is headed by a candidate with whom I disagree on many issues, as was the case in 2008.

So, naturally, I voted for John McCain on November 4th, although he is not, in my opinion, a real conservative.

As the election returns started pouring in on election night, it became clear early on that Barack Obama was going to be the 44th president of the United States.

Which is not the result that I was hoping for.

However, as the evening proceeded, I found myself rejoicing, silently, over the fact that America had elected an African-American to the presidency.

Mind you, I did not, would not, could not, vote for Obama. Not because of his race, but because of his policies which I find wrong headed and dangerous.

Still, it seems to that Obama's victory was much larger than liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican.

Partisan politics be damned, at least for one night.

This was America at her very best! Land of the free, home of the brave and the greatest nation in the history of the human species.

Those facts were confirmed for all the world to see on November 4th.

Again, I rue Obama's election because of his politics.

Still, I thrill at the sight of African-Americans swelled with pride and walking with a livelier bounce in their steps because of Barack Obama.

I am very proud of America for electing an African-American. I only wish that our first black president were a conservative, like Alan Keyes.

Nonetheless, Barack Obama will be our 44th president and I congratulate him and wish him all the best--until the mid-term elections in 2010, that is!